A Little About Me

After growing up making all the sweets at every family gathering and holiday, I fell in love with desserts. I chose to attend the Culinary Arts program at Brigham Young University Idaho. After graduating I have worked at various jobs making cakes and other goodies. The most recent being the Pastry Chef for the Oxford University Club, Taylor Grocery Special Events Catering in Oxford, Mississippi, and now my mom's farm-Fiddlin Rooster Farm- in Water Valley, MS. I have many family recipes and several of my own that I enjoy making and would love to make them for you.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Cool Tip!

Tip Of the day!
Ok so I was thinking about my blog and I know I use this as a site to show customers different cakes and desserts I have made. However, I have decided I need to share a little knowledge along the way. So whenever I get the chance I will give a little tidbit of decorating knowledge from my vaulted brain. And yes my brain is a vault. I guard my recipes and a lot of how I do things, because this is my career and I don't want people to think it's so easy I don't need to pay her! I have put a lot of time, money, and practice into what I do to make it better. And a lot of love! So with that being said, I'm going to try and share my gift of cake decorating and desserts with whomever is interested. Please use my knowledge don't abuse it and hopefully you can gain a little from my tips.
Today I decorated this 2 layer cake with butter cream icing. I wanted it to be a little different from what I normally do. Let's face it birthday cakes tend to look the same! Same shell border, flowers, and greeting. The only difference is the shape and color. I decided to make the border have 2 colors. The way to do this is really simple. Take your decorating bag with tip attached. Use a butter knife or flat edge spatula(one that is skinny) and spread a single line of the darker colored icing into the bag. Make sure to only put about butter knife width line no more. Then fill the rest of the bag with the lighter color as normal. Remember too much icing in the bag will make it harder to handle and harder on your hand. Practice a few times on the counter or onto a plate squeezing out the desired shape. If done correctly the colors will come out at the same time giving a border that looks like the trim below. Have fun and good luck decorating!







1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I can't wait to try it! I bet the blue and white would be good for waves. I was thinking of making dad a boat cake and that would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete