A Little About Me

After growing up making all the sweets at every family gathering and holiday, I fell in love with desserts. I chose to attend the Culinary Arts program at Brigham Young University Idaho. After graduating I have worked at various jobs making cakes and other goodies. The most recent being the Pastry Chef for the Oxford University Club, Taylor Grocery Special Events Catering in Oxford, Mississippi, and now my mom's farm-Fiddlin Rooster Farm- in Water Valley, MS. I have many family recipes and several of my own that I enjoy making and would love to make them for you.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Almond cake!

After watching the recent movie Julie & Julia my mom went out and bought Julia Child's cook book Mastering the Art of French Cooking! It is amazing! I can't believe we didn't have it before now. We have so many cook books, but we didn't have hers! So I wanted to make the cake featured in the movie, because it looked delicious! I have to say for my first ever Julia recipe it went great! The only thing I found that I need to change is the cooking time. I followed all of the directions to a t. I even whipped the egg whites by hand, something I have never done! Today's technology has prevented us from learning a lot of basic abilities and arm strength! The cake tasted great and had a wonderful flavor to it. I just need to watch the time. It was a little dry around the edges. The icing was so simple I think I didn't whip it long enough. That or it was just to warm during transportation to my mom's. (yes I had to share it with her since she bought the book) She was very surprised! The icing was really soft, so next time I will whip a little longer. All in All I congratulate Julia! I have always been a fan, but now I appreciate her a lot more! Yummy Yummy! Bon Appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment